Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Crazy Summer 2011

WOW!! What a crazy summer it has been. My crazy time began on Monday, May 23, 2011 when I had an appointment with Dr. Michael Mitschke, my cardiologist.

He had seen me three years earlier and created a base line of heart strength, blockages, etc.

On this day I came back for a check-up ordered by my family practice Dr. Noel. It turned out to be a good thing because I was suffering from CHF (congestive heart failure). It was a big shock when the doctor told me this and in the same sentence told me I wasn't going back to work or home, but to the hospital. I called my wife, daughters, sister and church ministers with the news. Then I took a walk across the street with a nurse to Memorial Herman Mermorial City and checked in and waited to see what would happen next.

For the next five days I was in the hospital I was given meds to help get the water out of my system and lost 25 lbs. in five days. During this time I had my blood preasure taken every 6 hours, was given meds to control my blood and heart beating. I even had nurses, I called vampires, come in every night at 3:30am to take my blood. When I heard the knock on the door I covered my head and stuck out an arm. During this stay I also had a catheterization done that showed I had NO blockages. Finally some GREAT news!!

During my stay in the hospital I had several doctors come in, Mitschke, Nguyen, Drtril,Loo and maybe some others. I also had my wonderful wife and daughters visit me and Kasey Berry,Preschool Minister, Jerome Smith Youth Minister (he left me a note written in crayon), Carlos Ichter, Music Minister, Leslyn Ichter, music intern, and Tallowood ministers Larry Bertrand, John Music, and friends Delia Dunavin, Karen Cossey, Staci Roth (twice), and Phyllis Spears. Also, Nancy Harn, RCE principal, Cathy Roth, and Linda Kleb, AP at RCE. Lots of friends and prayers.

My choir family sent prayer cards all summer and I recieved prayer grams from the family of Tallowood. What a wonderful body of believers called Tallowood. Thank you for lifting me up every step of the way.

I finally went home wearing an external defibrillator and taking lots of meds. Time to rest, yea right. Time to see every doctor repeatedly!

Low blood preasure 70/50 for weeks, much too low. I taught VBS at Tallowood in June and other than that I rested.

Now, Dr. Mitsche has me going to Cardiac Rehab three times a week and actually enjoying exercise. The nurses are wonderful and take great care of the patients.

In August Dr. M. referred me on to an Advanced Cardiologist Dr. Loyolka in the Med. center. The first meeting with Dr. L was a frightening experience. He begins by saying that he isn't sure of my breathing and how it affects me and says he has a test for me to take but if my # on the test is below 14 we would talk about heart pumps and transplants.

He scheduled the test to check O2 intake and CO2 output and the magic number had to be 14, mine was 15.4. Thank you God for helping me surpass the required number. Now Dr. L is scheduling a defibrilator/pacemaker.

In addition to all of this, I am still anemic and will be having a bone marrow biopsy on Friday, August 19th.

So from May to August God has walked beside me and carried me every step of the way. He has had my family, friends and other believers praying for the healing power of Jesus Christ and lifting me up before the one true God. Thank you God for placing me on the path to healing and restoration.

God is good and perfect.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the information, Jimmie. We couldn't quite figure out what was up but knew it must be looking pretty serious. May the Lord bless you with complete and surprising healing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carol -- good to know more details, but was praying anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you tell the story highlighting the unique set
    of supporters who have stepped forth. I hope the news is great
    tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete